Tax Time Ahead: Instant asset write-off increased and extended
With tax time head, remember the changes that have been made to the Instant Asset Write-Off Scheme to stimulate the economy.
For assets first used or installed ready for use between 12 March 2020 until 30 June 2021, and purchased by 31 December 2020, the instant asset write-off:
- threshold amount for each asset is $150,000 (up from $30,000)
- eligibility extends to businesses with an aggregated turnover of less than $500 million (up from $50 million).
From 7.30pm AEDT on 6 October 2020 until 30 June 2022, temporary full expensing allows a deduction for:
- the business portion of the cost of new eligible depreciating assets for businesses with an aggregated turnover under $5 billion or for corporate tax entities that satisfy the alternative test
- the business portion of the cost of eligible second-hand assets for businesses with an aggregated turnover under $50 million
- the balance of a small business pool at the end of each income year in this period for businesses with an aggregated turnover under $10 million.